Thursday, April 24, 2014

M Tech Time

My 1985 635CSi came from the factory with every option except heated seats.  This included the sport package, which included locking differential, sport seats and the M Tech Sport Steering wheel.  The BMW E30 generation could be ordered with this steering wheel.  I believe some time in 1985 the factory switched from coarse spline to fine spline steering shafts so for me to find one, I had to ensure I purchased a fine spline steering wheel for my 89.

Craigslist, Ebay, Bimmerforums, R3vlimited forum, are all great places to find used parts.  I found a very nice clean M Tech 385mm diameter, fine spline steering wheel from an individual on ebay.  $150 later and a few days for transport, it arrived.

I think it took 10 min to install?  Pop the emblem off, unscrew bolt on wheel, remove old four spoke vinyl wheel and replace it with three spoke leather covered steering wheel.

It just feels better in your hands.




No comments:

Post a Comment