Monday, March 31, 2014

Dad says, "Go see Doug!"

Doug Paddock at Paddock Imports east of Santa Fe on 6th Ave has maintained and repaired our BMWs for many years.  My old 6 series and my Father's 2005 BMW X5 4.4i received wonderful support and service from Doug and his staff.  During the process of trying to buy the last BMW E30, my Father kept saying, "What does Doug say?"  "What does Doug recommend?"  "Does Doug know about this car?"   "I bet Doug knows what to do, go see him."  "I bet Doug has answers."

A week passed from when I got back home from KC to heading out Monday, March 17th on St. Patricks day to 'go see Doug.'  I drove down there in the morning and said, "Doug, what do you think about BMW E30 iXs?"

He replied, "I have a really great one right outside that one of my customers asked me to get ready for sale."

As simple as that...   One question, one answer.

I said, "Let's go look at it."

We walked 10' outside his door and bam, there this white coupe from 1989 sat.



He goes on to tell me that one of his customer graduated from Law School and proceeded to buy a new BMW 325iX from a local dealer.  It's had 158k miles on it and his shop has basically been maintaining, repairing and accessorizing it for many many years.











I walked around it as he continued his update of what this car was.   It had some rock chips and dings from normal wear but you could tell this car lived in a garage and then was driven to another garage at work.  No Dash Cracks.  No Excessive Seat Wear.  No worn out window moldings or paint.  I looked inside and was just wowed.


Smelled neutral, clean, just perfect for what I was looking for.

I popped my head up and said, "I'll buy it!"

"Oh, how much is it?"  That's how excited I was to find a car that was one owner, meticulously maintained, lived its entire life in dry Colorado, zero rust, yadda yadda yadda.

"Oh around $8K."  Doug replied.  "But come back on Wed or Th and let me get a new battery in it and tighten the belts."

"Okay, will do!  Don't sell it to anyone else now!"  :)

I found a car.  A car I could trust.  A car my mechanic knew.  A car that had proven itself for many years here in Colorado.  An E30 BMW.  A 325iX!

No comments:

Post a Comment