Monday, March 31, 2014

Finally, an Allrad I can call my own

Doug called me up on Wednesday to let me know to come get it on Thursday, drive it a week and let him know what items needed tweaking, replacing, etc.  So I drove to the park and ride, hopped on the bus, transferred to the light rail and walked a 1/2 mile to his shop for $4.  






Doug had it ready for me.  Gave him a check, got the title and headed home by way of Rack Attack.  No one could find the keys to the rack and one of the three towers was locked down on the roof.   I figured Rack Attack would have a key for an old Yakima.  They didn't, but they did have a drill and took it all off for me for free.  It was worn out, but they could use it for parts for customers that had an old rack.  When I would take this car skiing, I'd use the optional ski sack the car came with so a whistling 20 year old rack wasn't of much use to me.

Under the hood, you see no signs of rust and only the yellowish Cosmoline that was coated on these cars engine bays and undersides for protection years ago, when cars were shipped over seas.  I don't think they do this today, but who knows.  Mineral spirits should take that off.  Maybe I'll give it a shot this spring time.




VIN number decoded here:http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/8137255.pdf









Rack off, at home in the driveway



Will get these plates back to original owner once I get mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment