Monday, March 31, 2014

My first 1989 BMW 325iX - Rust free at last!

As I was telling my Father, I have searched countless times over the last decade for low cost, rust free, well maintained BMW 325iX.  I have obviously missed the few ones that come up for sale.

Fast forward to the last week of February 2014 and I was doing my normal searches for a clean non-rusty, under 200k miles iX, when I stumbled upon an interesting ebay ad.  Essential the ebay ad read as follows:

This car is in great condition with many new parts.
Vinyl dashboard has 3 cracks.
Front driver side has slight haze to wheel well.
Needs new clear coat.
Sunroof handle hangs down slightly. $20.00 part.
Clock occasionally blinks.
ABS light is on but functioning.
Mechanic said it was a sensor.
Around 146,000 miles this car had the following items done:
Timing belt, water pump, thermostat, intake manifold gasket, valve cover gasket, new belts and hoses, new spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, new tires from Big O with warranty remaining, transmission serviced, front and rear differential fluids replaced.
Around 149,000 miles a new fuel pump was installed by BMW.
Car was repainted due to a lifting clear coat.
This car just made a 2,000 mile trek through Wyoming, Nebraska and Kansas.
The AWD on this car handled beautifully in the snow.
This is a nice, clean, classic looking car, I hate to let it go but it just isn't big enough for my growing family.
Serious bidders please request additional pictures, videos, etc.
Depending on buyers location I can meet part way for a fee.
Automatic Transmission - Mileage 152,000



I ran a CarFax and you could tell it spent 23 of its 25 years in New Mexico, so no rust.  Starting price of ebay ad was $3K.  Not bad.  Sure it needed a few things and some cleaning.  I talked to the owner on the phone and he was a BMW enthusiast and really cared about the car.  I bid the $3K and watched it for the rest of the few days remaining.  

Friday afternoon rolls around and I am at my parent's house for some afternoon coffee and conversations.  I get notified that I just won that ebay auction.  No one else bid!

One catch, the car is in Springfield, Missouri.  My wife and I thought it would be a fun Wheeler Dealer type car at the very least.  Let me find a one way flight so I can drive it back 750 miles home.

No comments:

Post a Comment